BBC Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans has signed up to replace Adrian Chiles as co-host on Friday's edition of The One Show, it has been announced.

Evans, who presented TFI Friday and Don't Forget Your Toothbrush on Channel 4 during the 90s, will join Christine Bleakley on the BBC One programme.

Evans said he was "honoured" to be involved in what he called a "much loved institution".

A BBC spokesperson said that Chiles' contract was "still being negotiated".

The spokesperson added that the BBC are "keen" that he stays with the show as he is a "valued member of The One Show team".

'Great addition'

The new hour-long Friday edition will include new features and guest slots that the BBC said will be revealed in the forthcoming weeks.

Last year, Evans made his TV comeback filling in for Chiles who was on holiday.

"I think what Adrian and Christine have done with the show is fantastic," said Evans.

"It has become a much loved institution in a relatively short space of time and I am honoured to be able to be joining the team. For me, Fridays have always been a little bit special and I want to do my bit to welcome people to the weekend."

BBC One controller Jay Hunt said: "The One Show is without doubt one of our most popular programmes and I am thrilled that Chris will be joining such a successful team.

"His unique presenting style and infectious enthusiasm will be a great addition to the show."

Source: BBCNews