Acer's Aspire 8940G Boasts Intel's Core i7 in 18.4-Inch Design

In its attempt to overpass HP in the portable PC segment, Acer continues to expand its line of Aspire portable computer systems with the introduction of a new model, designed on Intel's latest line of mobile Core i7 processors. Dubbed Aspire AS8940G, the newcomer has been fitted with Intel's latest quad-core Core i7 720QM processor, combined with some of the latest hardware on the market in an 18.4-inch design.

This, of course, aims to meet the requirements of gaming and multimedia enthusiasts, while also providing them with a choice for a high-performance desktop replacement. It does so by taking advantage of the new features of built-in Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 7.

“This new Aspire notebook offers multimedia enthusiasts the ultimate in mobile entertainment – cinematic quality sound and visuals, an industry-leading feature set, and the performance to handle demanding digital media,” said Notebooks Product Manager for Acer America, Preeta Anil. “The addition of Intel’s new Core i7 processor further boosts the power and performance of the Aspire AS8940G for games, movies, videos and more.”

The Core i7 720QM processor has been clocked at 1.6GHz and paired with 4GB of dual-channel DDR3 memory, as well as NVIDIA's GeForce GTS 250M with 1GB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM. Designed both for gaming and for multimedia users, the laptop incorporates an 18.4-inch Full HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit display. Additional features include the 500GB 5400RPM hard drive, 4x Blu-ray Disc/DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer drive, multi-in-1 media card reader, wireless 802.11 b/g/n connectivity, 5 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI and eSATA, and Crystal Eye integrated webcam.

On the multimedia front, Acer's 18.4-inch Aspire laptop has also been fitted with the Acer CineSurround Sound system, consisting of 5 built-in speakers. Featuring an 8-cell Li-Ion battery pack, the system runs on Microsoft's Windows 7 OS and will be available in the US starting this holiday season, for a MSRP of US$1,349.99.